Monday, February 25, 2013

a quick how-to



I started off my journal spread by applying gesso to both pages with a paintbrush.
In order to avoid getting the gesso all over, 
I typically place waxed paper under both pages that I am applying the gesso (or paint for that matter) to
so I don't get too much on the other pages 
(life is messy!)

For this spread,
I used my Caran D'Ache Neocolor II Watersoluble crayons

Caran D'Ache Neocolor II watercolor crayons

I colored the circles of varying size
and then added water with a water brush (you can find a brush at Joann etc) 

circles made from watercolor crayons and water

The background is also crayon with water.

I felt that the spread was a little too bright for my liking,
so I splatted on some paint (Golden Titan Buff) and 
rubbed it around with a brayer

adding some Golden Titan Buff to tone down the colors

I had the perfect collection of stamps ...

Add some stamping to the circles?


so I stamped a variety of circles and stars

stamping on the circles

but found some of the stamps didn't turn out too well 
(maybe my paint wasn't dry enough)


I added just a wee bit of texture on the side
(actually I also added a sticker but it wouldn't stay on 
so maybe the painted surface was not ink/sticker friendly?)

lightly sketched out words

and of course,
I added my favorite.... text!

Ahhh......
Yes....
when living with three kids (ages 19, 16, and 13)..

there is bound to be drama!

adding some spray  and ink through stencil

I like to make my text bold and highlighted.

I also added some spray ink with a stencil


and a few shapes by dabbing ink over a stencil.



There you have a simple art journal spread.





4 comments:

  1. Nice spread and thanks for sharing all your steps. Good luck with the teenage angst, hopefully it does pass quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH teenage angst! I feel for you. Art journaling is probably the best thing to do to combat the teenage syndrome. I like your journaling techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you getting back into the journalling. I know how much you love lettering - and it shows

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I love you style and design of your journal. But it would be more beautiful if you could post photos of your adventures and projects. The bubble effect is really stunning! Wish I could make one too but unfortunately, I’ve got no extra time anymore. Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep it up!

    Please visit My Website: http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete