Friday, April 27, 2012

Celebrating...

My mother's brother, my uncle Ken,  is a one-of-a-kind guy...

Rhoda-Ken-1

the uncle who had us duck in the seats of his convertible
when we rode under an overpass with the top down, so we wouldn't hit our heads....

Kenny visits

the uncle who always called at the crack of dawn on your birthday....

the uncle who flicked your nose when you looked down to look for a spot on your shirt
(and we fell for it EVERY time!)...

the uncle who came to visit you on visitors day at overnight camp..

Visitors Day at Mark's Camp, Ken and me

the uncle who never missed a family celebration...

the kids with Ken and Myrna

the uncle who picked you up at the bus depot in the big city
 so we could visit with him and his beautiful wife...

the uncle who picked you up from college and brought you to his home
 to hang out all weekend and watch NBA basketball...

the uncle who came to your college graduation...

image0

and to your graduate school graduation..

image0-001

The uncle who loved your kids as much as he loved you

Ben, Jack and Ken at family reunion

The uncle who cherished the quilt made for him
just because he was who he was...
kenny's quilt
He passed on yesterday.
It breaks my heart that he is gone 
but
I feel so blessed to have had 50 years of his love and his life to share.

image0
It is bittersweet.
I won't hear his voice calling me today at 7:30 AM to wish me happy birthday ...
Yes, I am a half century old today...
hard to believe!
 (and I can still remember his calling me "Decada" when I reached 10 years!)

But I am celebrating today.
Celebrating that I am 50 years old.
and celebrating the life of a man who I am so happy to call my uncle.


This one's for you, Ken!
for Ken!

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Lisa. It sounds like your uncle was an amazing man.

    I really hope you have a lovely birthday, full of wonderful memories of the times spent with your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your loss Lisa, your uncle sounds like a very lovable person!

    In spite of all the sadness I do wish you a Happy Birthday! 50 Rocks you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful person to have had in your life! I know you will miss him but, wow, what a wonderful bucket full of memories you have. I know it's a bittersweet birthday but I'm here to tell you, 50 is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your uncle.
    On a happier note...HAPPYYBIRTHDAY TO YOU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great post and reminding us how important uncles and other extended family members are in our lives. My sympathies on your loss. I hope you can celebrate your life and his today. Happy Birthday! are you going to make a quilt for your jubilee year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tribute to your uncle. It sounds like he was one of the good ones! Have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sorry to hear this Lisa, but he sounds like he was an incredible person and that you have a lifetime of fabulous memories. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful tribute to the man he was and the memories that you shared. Happily celebrate the memories all 50 years of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sad to hear about your uncle - cherish the memories!

    I hope you have a wonderful birthday surrounded by family and friends! I can't give you any advice about turning 50, as I'm six months behind you on that track ;-) Best wishes for the second half of your century!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He was a fantastic guy who never let you get away with "I can't..."

    I still can't believe he's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feliz aniversário!!!Pesares sobre o seu tio tão maravilhoso e amigo.Pense que ele estará junto de DEUS intercedendo por vocês amigos e familiares.São FRANCISCO DE ASSIS DISSE:E morrendo que se vive para a vida eterna.um abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Lisa.....what a beautiful way to honor your uncle. Of course, I was crying when I got to the part that he died just one day before he'd have called you for your birthday. He sure was a special person in your life and I know you will miss him a lot BUT I am also sure he taught YOU how to be the special person you are and that you continue his tradition of always being there for those you love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know how much you will miss him, but I also know how much he enriched your life and helped to make you such a wonderful person. All my love

    ReplyDelete
  14. AAAAAAAaaaawe. Laugh or cry? What a post. Happy birthday Lisa. LOVE that last photo. lol BIG hig to you. You ARE very lucky & blessed to have a good uncle like that. (Mine all sucked. lol)

    xo
    ~Monika

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like he was a wonderful uncle, I loved all the memories you shared. It doesn't make the loss any easier, but I know you'll cherish those and share them with your children. I'm sending hugs your way---

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very sorry to hear of the passing of your special uncle. What lovely memories you have to cherish. A belated happy birthday to you!
    We share the same birthday, but I am one year older. Thanks for an inspring blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry for your loss, but what wonderful memories to celebrate! Have a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful post to your Uncle and such great memories you have of your times with him! Wishing you a happy year ahead as you enter your sixth 'decada'!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fortunate you were to have such a wonderful uncle.

    ReplyDelete